Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My land rover 2.5l V6 auto seems to have lost a lot of power. I

My land rover 2.5l V6 auto seems to have lost a lot of power.
I have replaced the air filter, checked the breather pipes, and chnged the spark plugs.
It is so gutless that it can hardly pull itself up a hill.
Any thoughts on what this might be?
My thinking is that it may only be firing on a few cylinders?
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think there are also 3 timing belts for this particular 2005 engine.
These can also play up?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd suggest to do a compression test on the engine across all cylinders as thi swil show the general engine health as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other if you have a couple of low cylinders then the 1st thing to check is that the cam timing is correct as this can be out and lower the compressions on two cylinders, the next step is if the cam timing is right then is to squirt a little engine oil into the bores and re-do the compression measurement, if it shoots up then the issue is piston wear if it makes no difference then its a valve that needs replacing. As you can imagine if its the latter this reduces the repair cost greatly as the engine can stay in the car and the head be removed for valve replacement and possible valve seat machining. If however it bore wear then the engine can be re-paired by stripping it down , machining the piston bore out and fitting bigger pistons but its often more cost effective to source a good 2nd hand engine for less than this, I'd imagine a 2nd hand engine costs for this year and model would be around 800-£1000
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - well i will run it by the mechanic here.
thanks for getting back to me in time.
part of the issue here in HKG, where i live, is that genuine technical advise face to face is hard to get. hence i am trying this site online back to the UK.
Let me get back to you after the weekend.
chris
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
no problem, just get back to me on this post