Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Vauxhall Astra 2011 reg., and have justvhad all the

I have a Vauxhall Astra 2011 reg., and have justvhad all the brakes replaced. Since this work has been done, the hand-brake will not hold the car, and I have to leave the car in gear. I took it to the garage that replaced the brakes, and they said it needed a whole new hand-brake mechanism costing £380.00.
I then took my car to the Vauxhall main dealer to see if they could quote me for the work, and their quote came up at £197.00, a lot cheaper.
When they investigated the car further, they said that the hand-brake mechanism did not need replacing at all, and putting in a whole new one would not make any difference.
My cartill moves when on a slope, so I have to leave it in gear. I did not have a problem with the hand-brake before they replaced all the brakes.
I have looked on the internet and there are forums whereupon Vauxhall Astra owners have outlined the same problem with their hand-brakes.
What can I do ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello as you have found there are many cases of the electric handbrake releasing or not grabbing when it should ( i'm assuming that yours has this electric option as Vauxhall went back to a manual brake after all this) Vauxhall to my knowledge have sadly not issued a recall on this problem to date there are upgrades to the body control module software available though which change how the EPB operates so this is well worth enquiring about 1st as its a cheaper fix than just replacing the whole unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Vauxhall is NOT an electric one .... so please advise .. many thanks ....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The handbrake is a manual type you see ....
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
OKin that case this is a bit more hopeful as while there are still issues with the manual brake it can be adjusted to increase its efficacyif you lift up the leather / cloth boot around the lever you should find an adjuster nut to tighten the cable upthe best method is to have the rear wheels off the ground and tighten the nut up so the wheels just start to drag when yo have the lever on the 1st 'click'
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you