Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

My 1.7 cdti astra stalls after a run then will not start until

my 1.7 cdti astra stalls after a run then will not start until I give it a bit of time?
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive got to go out just now but could you list as many possibilities and fixes via email ty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
has anybody addressed this question because I have nt received an email?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
anything ?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please close the question.Please also close my account and do not charge me any money.This is a poor service - you can find better advice on the Internet - shame your mechanics do not check this as a source .....
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Good morning , Sorry did not get to you sooner just come on line and found your question, which was sent to me by shantal ,so sorry for the delay .First could you tell me if the check engine light is ON when the engine is running .Does the engine only stall when hot and when you manage to get her restarted it take 20 odd minutes or when the engine has cooled down .. Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Greg
It's a little late now and I don't want to be charged for this advice given the reply time period and the amount of research I subsequently had to do to try and answer my own question. If you could give me confirmation that I am heading in the right direction that would be kind of you but i don't want to be billed for it at this stage. The car stalls when it appears to be warm and restarts at random periods but never above 20 minutes so far .
Initially after a motorway drive of 20 miles the battery and ***** *****ght with a spanner came on and the car stalled. Although the car was restarted the car stalled a further 3 times in 4 miles but did not produce any dash lights. I am changing the crank sensor tomorrow .
Regards Michelle
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michelle Yes this could well be your cranksahft sensor ,"a very typical issue ".What happens is the crankshaft sensor gets to a temp that it makes it fail and once it cools off it starts to work again.Best way to see this is when you have a no start period check the RPM dail when cranking over the engine if it does not work then crank sensor is most likely to 95% the problem .I would if you can have a diagnostic scan done and check for malfunction codes .in many cases you may not haveany warning lights ON but still have a malfunction code stored.. Going from the warning lights that do come on ,like the battery ,spanner etc points to a failing alternator ,before doing any buying of parts have this checked and tested first .as you will have the same issue with an intermittent alternator malfunction . Rgds Greg
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Michelle i really do suggest you check the alternator first .as the pattern points me to check that first . Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - I will let you know how I get on.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Good thank you Michelle. Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience: Automotive diagnostic tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I changed the crankshaft sensor yesterday and drove 189 miles with no further issues. Regards Michelle