Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My vw polo tdi 2007. 82000 miles on the clock. It was overfilled

Hi. My vw polo tdi 2007. 82000 miles on the clock. It was overfilled with oil. Oil was drained but before that I had a break down. After 10-15 miles driving started to shudder and shake. It slowed me down to 40 miles an hour on the motorway. 4th gear seemd to be to much at the times so I had to drive it in the 3rd gear until I found a place to stop. When I start the engine it drives ok in all gears but as soon as gets warm it starts to judder and can't go any faster than 40 miles an hour. I was told that the engine and tdi is damaged. Is this true?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello if the engine drives OK when cold then I doubt its badly damaged if you have a check engine light turn on when the fault occurs then this will really help, as you can plug a diagnostic tool in to pull off the fault code and point to the fault If you don't have a light then I'd next do a compression test on all the cylinders as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other - this will show if the engine is healthy or not if this shows OK then it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AA man did plug in a diagnostic tool and no major faults found. I didn't see a light coming on when car is worm and starts to shudder except a red light pump which is on and off (or it looks like a pump). Is it possible that car engine or turbo has been affected by overfilling with oil. Would this give the signs I described above? Car seems perfect when just started. I need your answer to make a decision as to take it to the dealers vw or go to private garrage. This mechanic that drained the oil for me said that it is likely I need new engine and turbo which will cost me about £1500 or more. There was a patch of oil probably from the boost pipes under the car. But oil rectified now and I drove the car until warm and thats when this juddering hapens.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
and get them to do the compression test I've suggested
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hmm not sure what happened there, I'd go for the independent garage every time as you'll get a better deal than the dealersespecially if you can find a VW specialist in your area and I'd also ask them about cleaning out the intercooler as oil carryover from the breather system tends to end up inside here