Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 54 plate toyota celica has pressurised which you can feel

my 54 plate toyota celica has pressurised which you can feel as you unscrew the oil filler cap...it is accompanied by a whining sound from the engine somewhere when its warmed up and revved also the tickover is uneven....when cap was removed engine management light came on....i checked the PCV valve and it works fine and sucks when i put my finger over it
Category: Car
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i bought the car in devon a month ago and drove it home to colchester in essex ...it seemed rather hesitant to accelerate thru the rev range when i tested it and a whisp of smoke came from exhaust when idling when the owner drove it up the road this duly disappeared.....the oil level was between the high and low marks....having owned a celica vvti before i put a glug of oil in it to bring it up to top mark on dipstick...checked it two weeks later and it was only 3 0r 4mm on end of dipstick.....topped it up and starting investigating....unscrewed PCV valve and tested,it sucked my finger so appeared fine...removed other breather pipe to rocker box and that seemed fine ...replaced all pipes and double checked connections....when engine had warmed up i removed oil cap and put piece of paper over it to make sure it sucked and it did....it was then i noticed engine management light had come on and the car was ticking over erratically low.....associated with this since is the high pressure in engine when oil filler cap is removed and the high pitched whining noise from engine which gets worse when revved...also the exhaust appears to smoke more and burbles as if leaking or blocked....car is 2004 celica vvti with 87000 miles on clock....it starts no problem at all but now obviously this fault has developed or was already developing when i purchased it.....are there other breather related systems on this car that can cause this issue or is the problem elsewhere.....constructive or precise answers please and no guess work.....i can find enough silly answers from forums.....thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
air filter is clean and original oil when purchased was clean and a receipt was present for very recent oil and filters service
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
hellothese engiens are very prone to issues with the catyslt breakign up so I'd suggest pulling out the O2 sensors and peering inside the surface of the honeycomb 'brick' shoudl be flat and even if its all bumpy then remove the exhaust manifold and use some long screwdrivers and a hammer to smash the cat out as it'll still pass MOT's fine with the secondary cat later in the exhaust
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is this what is possibly causing the pressure build up in engine ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i ask again is this a possible cause of the high pressure when i take oil filler cap off and whining noise when engine is warmed up...my garage had a brief look yesterday when i opened bonnet and they said it was not venting properly but didnt seem to know more than that.....are you saying the build up of pressure is caused by blocked cat
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my phone no. is 01206 213624
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
im still waiting for the service i paid for !!! is your answer the reason i have so much pressure in my engine when i remove oil filler cap is because of a blocked catalyst causing back pressure
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
hello sorry about the wait a blocked cat shouldn't produce an increase in crank case pressuresorry if that wasn't clear - this was in reference to the 'burbly' exhaust and lack of power the high crankcase pressure must be an issue with a blocked PCV - this is a 1 way valve that screws into the cam cover and is then piped back to the intake the valve can stick and is quite cheap so I'd replace it
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes hello matt ...you sent a message saying the pcv valve was playing up...i took it off gave it a clean and it rattled as it was supposed to...then i connected back to its outgoing pipe and it sucked my finger with engine running so im assuming this is ok....or do the pcv valves become unreliable and only work intermittently as they get older
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
Hello they can stick as there should be a little spring to hold the valve shut against positive pressure so yes I'd replace it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks matt...my garage checked exhaust and cat was ok...before your last answer arrived i told garage to stick a new pcv valve on...if that dont work i will be at my wits end with the problem and the garage to i expect....thanks for help matt...top feedback on its way....cheers Ed