Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

Can you tell me the reason/s my skoda i.9 tdi auto with 42k

can you tell me the reason/s my skoda i.9 tdi auto with 42k genuine miles and new gearbox will not pick up the revs on uphill climb please i,m sick of different suggestions at the minute from relacing turbos to replacing gearboxes the revs are fine when car is parked please help eddie
Category: Car
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
in the message i wrote new gearbox i meant to say new gearbox oil thank you
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 7 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.
Hello if there's a lack of power then there's some simple stuff to check 1stif you only get the lack of power when climbing a hill then its likely to be a issue with the fuel tank pickup you don't say what year this is but as its a 1.9 then I'm guessing it doesn't have the lift pump of the later models so it could be a blocked fuel filter or if a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint now if the power loss is there all the time then the above reasons can also apply but its also worth checking the following1st check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it. If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hi matt you don,t mention wear in the clutch bands as a possible reason for losing power under pressure this was one suggestion was made to me i , feel its unlikely the case as there are only 42k genuine miles on the car by the way it,s an,03 skoda octavia ambiente ,also when in park the car runs sweet and will rev as high as i want it to would like a reason to rule this one out if possible thanks again matt best regards .........eddie