Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2009 cl63 and i keep getting a code p2187. Smoked

Hi, i have a 2009 cl63 and i keep getting a code p2187. Smoked the car but no visible signs of leaks.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check engine comes on when i park the car for 30 minutes while its running. Tried gas and fuel injector cleaner but no dice. Car only has 35,000 miles on it. Every thing still looks brand new
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd 1st check for exhaust leaks before the o2 sensor as if this has been experiencing an exhaust leak then it will have been running very rich as the sensor will see the extra air pulled in as fresh / lean fuelling and be adding fuel to compensate. this can lead to catalyst failure as the extra fuel can re-light inside and melt the catalyst The best way to find an exhaust leak is to run the engine from cold and feel around the exhaust joints with your bare hands - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot and you should feel any escaping gas blowing over your fingers and also check the sensor connectors for corrosion and the wiring for damage if this is OK then try cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue On no account touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile if both of these are OK then it may need a new MAF meter
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for taking so long. I was out of the country. I checked the exhaust leak and replaced both MAF sensors but no good.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
OKThis could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.I know you've already smoked the car but The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattenedpiece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You dont think it's a software issue
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello well a faulty ECU could give this issue but I'd certainly try checking for vacuum leaks as the next step
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.