Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Bentley Arnage T 2005 Footbrake With the engine running

Customer Question

Bentley Arnage T 2005 Footbrake
With the engine running the brakes operate fine. However with the engine switched off the brake pedal travels to the floor. I would be grateful if you could confirm if this is normal or there is a potential probiem
Colin
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Colin this isn't normal but not too much of a issue eitherI'd say that there's a vacuum leak on the brake booster pipework or the booster itself has sprung a leak now when the engine is running its generally creating vacuum so its topping up the vacuum all the time but when you stop its free to leak away So I'd check over the state of the vacuum pipework between the engine and the boosterespecially where it plugs into the booster as the rubber seal can leak with agealso theres often a 1 way valve built into the pipework check that this is operating and sealing in 1 direction
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response. A Bentley trained mechanic indicated that on a Bentley they operated with pneumatic pressure, a pump working the levelling suspension and the same pump works the brakes. Pressure was lost when the engine switched off.
I equally supported your view that the brake assist was generated by vacuum. I feel I need to try another Arnage. Regards Colin
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
looking at the image of the part http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/04-Bentley-Continental-GT-brake-booster-and-master-cylinder-3w1612105-/351560673084 looks like a vacuum booster to me
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you