Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have an MG ZT-T 1.8 non turbo. I parked up at home the other

Customer Question

I have an MG ZT-T 1.8 non turbo. I parked up at home the other day and the following day it wouldn't start. It turns over ok but will not fire up.
I have changed both crankshaft and camshaft position sensors but to no avail.
I need help!
Can anyone suggest anything apart from torching it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
Hi..there.. Why did you replace both those sensors? is this whats flagged up when plugged in...? Any management lights on since this occurred or immobiliser warnings? Does it have spark? and is fuel reaching the engine?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I replaced the sensors because I had them spare.
Bulb failure warning light has come on, but I think that is a dodgy Indicator connector.
No other lights or warnings.
How can I check fuel and spark if I have no one to assist?
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
I see ok.. You can check for fuel by removing the feed pipe from the injector rail..a single hose will go into a fuel regulator if i recall that sits on the end of the rail..just look for your injectors between the rocker cover and the intake manifold..the rail is what sits across all 4 injectors..just look for the fuel hose and gently release the clip and gently prise the hose off..put the hose end into a small catch bottle and turn the ignition and see if fuel is pushed through..if it then fuel is reaching the rail... alternatively you can just remove partically remove the intake tube from the throttle housing..and the spray in some easy start and see if the engine kicks over on that..if runs on it then you'll know for sure that fuel isnt getting to the engine..either by blocked filter or bad fuel pump..also check the R4 Fuel pump relay on the fuse panel under glovebox is clicking or swap if you have another the same to rule out a bad relay..so you need to check your fuses related to those aswell as listen for the pump priming at least at each cycle of the ignition.....To check for spark..remove the cover on the centre of the rocker cover under that is the leads..pull the one out closest to the timing cover..and put a spark tester into the end and ground the tester to negative..then spin the engine over and see if spark is produced on the tester...or undo the spark plug and fit that into the end of the ht lead..and ground the body of the sparkplug to the engine and then see when the engines turning over if a spark is seen or not....Also as routine check at least..make sure your timing belt hasnt broken..if the engine spins over faster then it did before? then thats a sure sign that the starters only turning the bottom end due to the belt breakage not turning the cams over..you can also observe the cams rotating when turned over by looking in via the oil filler cap...but to do that requires at least a second person to be assisting here..or you can remove the top portion of the timing cover to ensure the belts still tight and in place...might also be worth while to see what and if any fault codes are sotred or pending if you have scanner or code reader
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will be getting some help over the weekend so I will try all of your suggestions.
I will let you know the results ASAP
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.
no problem
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Have a great easter weekend