Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have 2012 grand vitara tyres size 225/70r16 1025 I

hi I have 2012 grand vitara tyres size 225/70r16 1025 I have replaced them with 285/35/22 is this ok
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello well the difference in diameter is quite close as your 225/70 R16 come out at 721mm diameter and the new wheel / tyre is slightly bigger at 747mm so 3.4% bigger so the overall gearing will be slightly increased and they will fill the wheelarch by a further12mm so diameter should be OK the other thing to check is wheel width clearanceas you will have to also increased the width of the wheel to accomodate the wider tyre so its likely to run into suspension parts and the inner wheelarch on the extremes of steering lock this I don't have information on but as you already have fitted them then a quick check looking under the car while your assistant winds the steering from lock to lock whilst you check for any clashes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you I may have got it mixed up I went from a large size down to a smaller one is this still ok
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello yes going down a size is pretty benign, , if you fitted the R16's and previously had the R22 on then the gearing will get slightly shorter but as you've seen its all quite small so you should be fine