Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Citroen c4 vtr+deisel: is it possible to make changes to the

Customer Question

citroen c4 vtr+deisel: is it possible to make changes to the suspension for a softer ride? at the moment it is on 17 in tyres.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you-i will wait.***** *****.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
HelloThe first thing to do is check that the tyre pressures are correct to those stated in the manual / on the door jamb sticker, if this is OK then its also worth making sure that the suspension geometry is correct as if a camber or rear toe setting is out then this would make the car feel nervous,I'd recommend taking the car to a place that does 4 wheel suspension alignment, most places use the back wheels as a datum and assume that they are perfectly straight and true. Often this is not the case and many modern cars are now adjustable at the rear as well as the front.A 4 wheel alignment measures all four wheels independently and each is set -up without referring to eachother and should only cost around £40.If looks Ok then I'd consider fitting a taller profile tyre with a smaller diameter wheel, this will add some compliance to the ride and generally calm the quick responses. An alternative is to keep the current wheel and replace the tyres with some of a softer sidewall so removing some of the compliance in the system - Toyo's for exampleThis is especially true if you have run-flat tyres currently fittedIf you look on the tyre at the end of the number eris there's a letter the number just before this letter denotes the load capacity and therefore sidewall stiffness.ie 225/55 R16 91V its the 91 you're interested in try a tyre with a lower figure and you'll get a softer tyre, however bear in mind this will also soften the steering responseIts also worth checking that all the main suspension pivot points have been tightened with the car on its wheels not in the air as this can add a lot of friction to the suspension and lastly check that the brakes aren't binding at all as this too can make the ride very jerky and bouncy