Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

When I put my 1995cherokee into gear I get a clunk and a bit

When I put my 1995cherokee into gear I get a clunk and a bit of movement from under neath (it is a auto gearbox) any ideas gearbox or driveshaft ? Dave
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd 1st check for worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts boltsif this is OK then you should move onto check the differential mounts too and look at the condition of the driveshaft joints , checking for split rubber boots
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt i am about to give the information to a local mechanic so I can't say whether it helps just yet,I can only rate your response it was just over 24 hours