Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a vauxhall Vectra diesel. I have changed the turbo

Customer Question

Hi I have a vauxhall Vectra diesel. I have changed the turbo and now it won't start. What could the problem be.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello if you have had the fuel feed lines disconnected then its most likely to be an airlock in the fuel lineThe engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire upI'd also replace the fuel filter with a new item before trying to bleed the system as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I didn't dosconnect any fuel lines and to me it sounds like there is no fuel going into and the pump doesn't feel like it's working. could it be a fuse or a relay?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello does your engine have the manual pump in the engine bay ( a little rubber button by the fuel filter) if it does then there's no in-tank electric pumpif it doesn't have the hand pump then yes it could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank. If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will try this now but just before I go could there be any other problems while I am under the bonnet to look at as well.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
well the other main possibility is to check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensorIf the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried all of the things you mentioned and it still won't start. I have also read in the owners manual that the control indicator for the immobiliser could be effected. I thought I saw the little indicator light come on but it doesn't anymore.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has my £33 run out now? or can you hel me with this last problem since I have tried all you mentioned above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
???????
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello sorry had to pop out for a bitif the dash is lighting up as normal then the immobilser isn't coming on , it would also disable the starter too so I'd try to see if you can get the engine to fire up on easi-start squirted directly into the intake after the turbo if it will then that confirms its mechanically OK and this will also help prime the fuel system