Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I am hoping someone can help me, my 1967 vw beetle has failed

Customer Question

Hi I am hoping someone can help me, my 1967 vw beetle has failed its MOT and I would like to learn how to fix it myself as I am keen to learn to do as much work on it as I can but I also do not want to bite off more than I can chew as safety is paramount.
It failed on
a] front suspension has excessive play in upper suspension ball joint offside front.
b] front brake binding offside.
c] hydraulic brake cylinder leaking hydraulic fluid {both rear}.
Any advice on how to fix / how easy to fix any of the above would be much appreciated, many thanks.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello the balljoint is pressed into place so you have to dismantle the front suspension to get the arm out from teh axle and then onto a press to push the old part out and the new part in the brakes binding will probably be the brake shoes binding up or the hydraulic cylinder stickingand the leaking cylinders will need to be replaced I'd say take a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJsZNpaHhGM