Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Good morning. We have a 65 plate Renault Clio 1.6. Tried to

Good morning. We have a 65 plate Renault Clio 1.6. Tried to start it yesterday, key unlocked the car, but just clicks when the key is turned in the ignition. Red imobilzer light is flashing and there is a small clicking noise whilst turning the key. Have tried 2nd key, same result. Tried disconnecting car battery & reconnecting but no change.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Just tried it again. Car completely dead. Jump started it first time off my other car. Appears its a dead. battery. Will get a new one. May have solved the issue. will reply again. soon.
Expert:  Matt replied 12 months ago.
hello I'd agree that this sounds like a dead batterycheck that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replacedDon't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cablesone other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its offIf this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor the other thing to consider is why did the battery go flat in the 1st place? now it could just be past it as they only last 3-5years anywayAlso check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright. if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement EN-GB style='font-size:10.0pt'>also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its offIf this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Have solved it. Thanks. New battery- not easy on a a bank holiday. All systems go.
Expert:  Matt replied 12 months ago.
glad you got it sortedmight be worth still checking that the battery is being charged in the car thoughBear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years