Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech

I bought a second hand car. The day after I bought it, it

Customer Question

I bought a second hand car. The day after I bought it, it wouldn't start. After a jump start it was fine. The next day the same issue again. I have to disconnect my battery terminals if I leave it over night, but when I re-connect them the car starts fine. The last 3 days I havn't had to disconnect my battery, the car started no bother. Today I went out and the car wouldn't start, turn the key and the normal lights come on but when I try to start the ignition it just makes a ticking noise (I assume that is the starter solenoid trying to go). I removed the battery and stuck it onto a charger (I believe that the charger isn't working now), and when I put the battery back into the car the dashboard lights flicker and there is a beeping noise, and still no start from the car. Seems to be electrical but I am unsure if its the battery (the battery was replaced after I bought the car)
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 7 months ago.
You have a what we call a parasitic battery drain . There is something electrical that is draining the battery , the proof is there if the battery is disconnected over night it will start .There is something intermittent that is switching on and draining the battery . You need to check for this drain, will you be doing this or will you send in the car to the repair shop. If you changed the battery then the battery is probably ok .and is a drain on the battery as said . If you want to do this your self then here is a link for DIY battery drain testing Please click here Still need additional information then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,A bad rating does not constitute a refund.If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
why would that cause erratic faults with the dashboard lights? or is that related to the low power output of the battery?
Expert:  Greg replied 7 months ago.
Yes that is related to low power from the battery .As soon as the battery get under 9.6 volts this will happen will also make some relays click . Rgds Greg