Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My car a renault clio seems to run ok, has been tested at selecta,

my car a renault clio seems to run ok, has been tested at selecta, but isnt pulling right.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there.. Can you explain a little more in detail if possible in regards ***** ***** fault you describe? I asume its been plugged in for fault codes? any warnings on the dash since this fault occured or any other work previously carried out? Mileage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mileage is about 44000,it was plugged into a fault machine, it was mot'd in jan and had new front brakes, its had two front new tyres, it goes into gear, but doesn't seem to pull
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for your reply.. Asuming there is no indication of brake bind or sticking after those new pads had been installed or issue with the rear brakes/handbrake binding - Putting it into gear and having less pull or power may indicate a failing or slipping clutch..provided the engine seems to run/rev up thorugh the rpm ok and no warnings...One way you can check the clutch is to Warm up the engine to operating temperature apply the handbrake completely.Shift the transmission into its highest gear and let out the clutchpedal in a smooth, normal manner. The engine should stall immediately! - a delay would indicate slow engagement and slipping...On a normal Test drive or climbing a hill if the RPM range is higher than the speed of the car or whilst travelling the engine RPM can be raised without any in performance increasd speed or pull ie:- if you can rev the engine but you get no speed increase..then the clutch is likely slipping or worn..