Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2007 qasqi with intermittant start problem. Cold and warm makes

2007 qasqi with intermittant start problem. Cold and warm makes no difference. Eventually starts and emits loads of white smoke
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 12 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 11 months ago.
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.
Hello 1st check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it. If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Matt, Thanks for your answer. The car has started OK over the last few days and is performing fine so I don't think the EGR or the turbo are the problem can be on. I think the warmer weather has made a difference would this make any difference to your suggestion? Regards Max
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.
Hello if its been so badly effected by temperature then its likely that this could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;Airflow meterCrank positionsensorCam positionsensorO2 sensorThrottle positionsensor unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40 and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Matt,Eventually car refused to start so towed to Nissan.They replaced the glowplugs (x4) but hardly made any difference, so they have since also changed the control unit and the fuel filter.
It barely starts each morning starts but we still get loads of smoke every time.
They have said changing the injectors (x4) is all they can think of to try now...Regards
Max
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
Hello MaxI'd suggest to also check the compression pressures as the next stepas they should all be within 10-15psi of each other
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Matt,
It seems the injectors are leaking fuel over night hence all the smoke on start upThe car refused to start again this morning so it seems I have no choice but to get them changed.Can they be inspected first to see if they are all damaged or do all four have to be changed together?ThanksMax
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
Hello Max if you were to leave the injectors overnight and then remove them all you should see which of them has a wet tip and replace accordinglyas you don't have to replace them as a set if you identify which ones are faultyalternatively they can be flow tested by an injector specialist for about £25 per injector to confirm
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Matt,I am waiting for the garage to call me back.Would it also have been possible for the garage to have checked each glow plug and just replace the faulty ones?RegardsMax
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
hello Max glow plugs can be easily checked You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.