Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 1998 4.0ltr range rover auto runs at 3000rpm from cold then

My 1998 4.0ltr range rover auto runs at 3000rpm from cold then drops down to1500rpm and wil not lower to(###) ###-####changed idle switch, plenim switch ,plugs,leads,checked vacum hose for leaks,plenim cover for leaks,nothing.THE only time it will drop rpm is when you unplug the air intake plug after air filer
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok w
ill wait
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Will wait
Thank you for getting back to me.
We will continue to search for a Professional to assist guy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello if you haven't already then I'd check the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faultyAir leaks are very temperature dependent as gaps can open or close up as things expand with heat, so the weather and engine temperature can effect them.This leads them to be quite intermittent in the case of mild leaks its also worth cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residueOn no account touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile and lastly remove the air intake hose and wipe out the throttle body and check its closing off fully as it should 'snap' shut if all of this is OK then it I'd try adjusting the closed position of the throttle
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years