Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Does the Fiat 500 Hatchback 0.9 TwinAir 105 Lounge 3door have

Does the Fiat 500 Hatchback 0.9 TwinAir 105 Lounge 3door have an interior oil sensor that shuts off the car if the oil is low. At what level does it shut off and does it warn you in sensors or on the digital dashboard before it will cut out? Should it cut out if for example it is half full?
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would still like an answer to the question please
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello the oil level sensor will shut the engine down when the sump is at or around 1 litre as its a 3.3 ltre fill so you should be able to view the oil level on the dash by accessing the service menu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq1Ml9jGd0M
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But surely the car has a warning light and an oil pressure sensor that will activate and notify the driver before the car just stops? The TwinAir has an oil warning light and a digital dashboard which tells you information on what is going on with the car. Is this not the case
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello the oil warning light is for very low oil pressure ( sub 5 psi) the oil pressure sensor ( if fitted , as its often not) will run a pressure gauge and will cut the engine or limit power , however low oil level doesn't result in low oil pressureas long as the oil pump pickup is underneath oil ( sub 0.5ltr) it will make sufficient oil pressure so the oil level sensor gives a much better early warning system than the oil pressure sensors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So does the Fiat 500 Hatchback 0.9 TwinAir 105hp 3 Dr have an oil pressure sensor? So if this car had 1.3 litres of oil in it should it cut out without warning?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello according to my information it has just an oil pressure switch so for it to cut out on a low oil pressure level is very feasible I'm assuming that you've since topped up the oil level and its been ok ever since?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why has the car oil warning lights if they dont go on? The manual also states that the car should sound a beeping noise and then a digital warning should appear on the dash and this should continue until oil is topped up. I can see one of them light up when the key is partially turned. No this is not the only issue. It is using way more oil than the recommended amount, despite being topped up. Also has been in garage 6 times and it is less than a year old. A litany of problems!!!
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
the oil warning light on 99% of cars only comes on when its pretty much too late as its only switched at a very low oil pressure the warning will be triggered by the oil level sensor so regarding the oil consumption The first thing I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet, however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carries oil over with it. If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil. If you do find oil replace the valve. If this is all OK then its possible that the valve stem seals are past their best and are drip-feeding oil into the intake. These can be replaced without removing the head by a competent garage in half a day or so Also check inside the intake just after the turbo for any signs of oil as this would be an indication that the turbo oil seal is starting to fail and a replacement / rebuilt turbo may well be required. Have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal an engine flush may also help if you've got a sticking oil scraper ring so its worth a go, as for the oil if you go up a grade / use slightly thicker oil then this is less readily drawn into gaps and less likely to be burnt off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If only the oil was the only problem. Faulty lights, faulty crankshaft pulley etc.....etc....
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hmm OKcan you give me a list of what the current problems are and I'll try to help
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for all your help. Will get all that you advised checked.