Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I would like to replace my 2001 R50 mini cooper's 15 alloy

Customer Question

I would like to replace my 2001 R50 mini cooper's 15 alloy wheels with 17 alloy wheels.
What difference would this make to the performance and ride comfort of the car?
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
helloI'm assuming that you currently have the standard 175/65 R15 tyres on the carso you can get a 17" rim to fit and give nearly exactly the same gearing by using a 225/40 R17 tyre or a 195/R45you can't go much wider than the existing rim due to the suspension strut clashing this site is very useful for quickly comparing the effectshttp://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=175&aspect=65&diameter=15&wheelwidth=6.5&offset=40&width2=195&aspect2=45&diameter2=17&wheelwidth2=9.5&offset2=20&Submit=Calculate#content so a wider tyre will greatly increase cornering and braking grip, admittedly at the expense of road noise and a penalty in fuel consumption ride comfort will reduce however as the tyre sidewall height comes down and you effectively make the the suspension stifferyou can counteract this slightly by dropping the tyre pressures and also selecting a tyre with a low load rating