Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Water leaking into underfloor area [where spare wheel is stored]

Customer Question

Water leaking into underfloor area [where spare wheel is stored] of a 2004 Honda Jazz.
No water visible in the boot space above. Considerable quantities collect underneath the
spare wheel after heavy rain , sometimes 2" deep! Sponge material inside the moulded
plastic to left of tailgate door catch can feel saturated - also evidence of water ingress
elsewhere sometimes [to one side, but closer to the rear seats.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Ross, I'm a Licensed Honda technician hopefully i can help with your question. The Honda Jazz of this age suffers with cracked sealant between the roof and rear panels, this allows water to run down into the boot and collect in the spare wheel well. There is a specific method to curing the problem.On the roof, there is a rubber strip, this hooks onto little studs on the roof, the rubber strip needs to be lifted up and off giving access to the channel on the roof. Where this channel meets the rear of the vehicle you will notice some very small cracking, this also occurs around the rear boot lid hinges. The area needs to be cleaned and using a small screw driver or pick the sealant should be dug out as good as possible, new sealant can then be used to re-seal the joins. 3M Drip check must be used to carry out the repair which is available from most good auto parts stores, this is the correct and recommended flexible sealant. Once this has dried it can simply be painted over with a touch up pen (available from Honda main dealer or parts suppliers) Remember to do the same for the rear boot lid hinges, although these tend not to crack so bad they can still allow water in. The water will tend to find its route though the double skin of the car and down along channels hence wet appearing in other places inside the car.Please feel free to get back to me if you need further assistance and I will be happy to help, if your happy with my help please member to accept or rate my answer. Thanks, Ross.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ross,
Many thanks for your quick response- your diagnosis makes a lot of sense . I shall buy some ' Drip Check' & give it a go !
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Its a fairly simple job to do but if you run into any problems please feel free to get back to me. thanks, Ross.