Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an Alfa Romeo GTV Lusso - I have a grinding noise

Customer Question

I have an Alfa Romeo GTV Lusso - I have a grinding noise when setting off and the car is under load. Only seems to happen when setting off on a hill or trying to set of at speed. Sort of a grinding metalish type of sound, does not occur when turning, just straight ahead.
Sue
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd st check for a worn drive shaft joint - typically these won't produce any vibration unless badly damaged but they can be noisy or 'clonk' for a long time beforehand, turn the steering to full lock and look at the drive-shaft rubber boot there should be no rips or tears in it and the suspension should be clean and dry of any grease. If you reverse at a reasonable speed with the steering on full lock a worn joint will 'click'. also look for worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts bolts