Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 2006 mitsubishi colt gear lever is getting stiff, mitsubishi

My 2006 mitsubishi colt gear lever is getting stiff, mitsubishi say it's the gear selector needs replacing, looks reasonable job for me to do, can you advise procedure please.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no answer to my question 24 hours later?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still waiting for reply thankyou
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please continue , I don't think its a difficult job as Mitsubishi say less than one hour labour thank you.
Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks, any car mechanic may have carried out this repair and does not have to be mitsubish. However a mitsubish mechanic would be good, so please continue, thanks.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello have you tried lubricating the lever point on top of the gearbox?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc0SIm-0i2Yif this doesn't help then yes the shifter or shifter cables may be faulty this video shows how the shifter is put togetherhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7mTuAj1se4 but to be honest a stiff cable is the most likely cause and while these can sometimes be lubricated by using an oil can to squirt oil into the cable innards often the best repair is to replace the cables entirely
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's fine thanks I will try that.