Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a question Skoda octavia 2007.the steering

Customer Question

Hi I have a question for a Skoda octavia 2007.the steering wheel is a little bit tight but don't have any lights on. Few weeks ago I noticed inside the tyres were worn.any suggestions please.thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello if the steering effort seems high the 1st thing to check is if the fluid level in the power steering reservoir is up to the mark ( check this when the engine is warm) also if the drive belt on the front of the pump is in good condition and the pump isn't making any odd noises especially when you turn the steering Then check that the tyre pressures are correct to those stated in the manual / on the door jamb sticker, if this all seems OK then I'd jack the car up so the front wheels are off the ground and move the road wheels from lock to lock by hand feeling for any tight spots as you move itTo feel if there's a worn strut top bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing if its tight throughout the movement this could be a faulty steering rack or a seized strut top bearingif you've been getting any strange clonking or 'boings' from the front suspension this points to a worn strut top if there are tight patches of movement then its likely that a steering column universal joint is seizing up so try dousing the joints one at a time in WD40 - or similar penetrating oil and turning the wheel in between to see if this makes any difference
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi where is the power steering reservoir located.thanks
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello its under the bonnet see the image
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there's no power steering reservoir in this car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This car has electric power steering I think
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello OK if its fitted with electric power steering then the pump should look like this it should be fitted on the other end of the engine at the gearbox end
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt I still can't see the reservoir.can you tell how to access it and send me pic of its location please
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello OK take a look over by the fuse boxhttps://youtu.be/fAnN86DdlDM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there's no reservoir by fuse box and video you send me was a cabin filter replacement.thanks for your time anyway I think need to take the car to a mechanic to look at.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I happen to find out from the owners manual that it's a electromechanical power steering. Thanks