Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

Friend I have a Skoda Fabia 1.2.

Hi Friend
I have a Skoda Fabia 1.2. For about three months, there has been an intermittent starting problem. Most times the car starts first time, but sometimes when turning the ignition key, the starting motor turns all right but does not fire. Even after repeating this several times it still doesn't fire. Trying again after about an hour, it starts first time. This can happen when the engine is cold or warm. The problem can arise three or four times a week, or there can be a gap of two or three weeks. I took it to a technician to diagnose the problem, who spent some considerable time starting and restarting the car to experience the problem occurring, but it did not happen. He also did a computer diagnosis of car, but he said that there was nothing wrong with it. This was three weeks ago and the problem has not recurred until today. I would welcome your comments on this problem.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 6 months ago.
Hello Ian,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
Hello 1st check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its lead/ coil and rest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals. If not then check that there's power to the coil pack (at the other end of the plug lead) using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor. If there is a spark and its still not starting then its likely that the ECU isn't opening the fuel injectors, if the injectors are working you can hear them click - its difficult to hear them with background noise so use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope, placing the handle end in your ear and the metal tip against the body of the injector whilst your assistant turns the engine over.If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fusebox and on its relay socket if OK then check the connections to the crank speed sensor and consider replacing this sensor if the wiring / connections look OK If the car will start using a squirt of quick/ easi start into the intake then this confirms the problem is lack of fuel Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If you remove the filler cap to the fuel tank and listen inside while your assistant flicks the ignition you should hear it clearlyIf the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V.You should be getting around 3 bar measured at the injector rail check to see if the plugs are getting wet indicating fuel is flowing – if not and the injectors are opening then there’s a problem with the pump or the filter or even the pressure regulatorCould also be incorrect fuelling due to a faulty water temp sensor. If this is the problem then the ECU will never add the 'cold start' extra fuel required if the car starts OK when warm then I 'd look into changing the sensor.
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years