Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Hope you can help. I've got a ncd mx5 with 8000 miles on

Hi, hope you can help. I've got a ncd mx5 with 8000 miles on it. I've just had the oil changed and now when it's warm, and running slowly it's fine, but if accelerate the oil light comes on for a few seconds.
Is this serious or is it the wrong oil or a dodgy filter. It looks as though it may be slightly overfilled as well.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there.. What engine size? is that genuine miles What grade oil was put in and was it genuine filter? How do you mean ovefilled how far over the max mark is it..and is this checked at cold? Any unusual noises from the engine at idle etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,It's a 2ltr.Not sure what filter it is but oil is Fuchs Titan dt5w30 - correct spec.Looked to be just above max mark, but not left car for that long.Light comes on when accelerating - goes off at low revs.Mileage is genuine - had car from new last October.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
The level shouldnt be above the max mark..it should be just about near the max level and no further..you may want to check the elvel once the engines been left for a few hours or overnight and then see what its siting at to confirm what level you have exactly of course with the car on an even surface if possible...The only things i can think off that would cause the oil light to come on at high rpm is either a restriction somewhere...if that wasnt an issue before the oil & filter change then i would maybe lean at the possible of it being bad filter or even cheap aftermarket type...if you can get a genuine one..then you could try that first and then see how that goes..if its a garage doing it for you? then ask them to do a oil pressure test to ensure its within spec.posibiliy at the same time if the genuine filter hasnt worked out..if its dropping out at high rpm then if the filters been replaced and the level is ok..then its either a bad pressure sender or you may have restriction within the pick up in the sump maybe..but at 8000miles i can really see it..but certainly something to bear in mind if investigations need to go that far after everything else as above is ruled out..i wont advise an engine flush as these could potentially cause more trouble....but as above the oil filter / pressure tests / oil pressure sender unit check and wiring.then pick up in sump...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks.Pretty much what I thought.I'll get the place to change the filter in the morning. Unfortunately I made the mistake of getting a tyre place to do it while I was getting a tyre replaced after a puncture.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
i see ok..well oil/filter changes arent really that hard to carry out..its basically the quaility of the fluids and filters that installed thats the problem in most cases...but see if a genuine one can be fitted and the adjustment of the level.but being at 8,000miles id say the engine hasnt really been fully broken in yet..so as long as it correct spec as you say from the handbook or new then the oil grade shouldnt be an issue...but hopefully the filter sorts it out..also please dont forget to rate my answer above above before you log out.Many thanks