Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

When i accelerate my rev,s go higher than they should.its feels

when i accelerate my rev,s go higher than they should.its feels like the clutch is slipping but i don,t think this is problem
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 11 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i,m waiting for an answer paid £20
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.
Hello if the clutch is slipping you can test it by chocking the front wheels and then try to pull away without slipping the clutchthe engine should try and stallif it doesn't stall and you have a hot smell , like hot brakes then its likely to be the clutch slipping can I ask why you think its not the clutch?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hello Matt
it could well be the clutch because it happens quite often but not all the time
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.
Ok try the stall test as I've mentioned and let me knowif it doesn't stall and you suspect the clutch does need replacing then bank on it being about 150-200 in parts plus a days labour to remove the gearbox , replace the clutch and refit it allhowever you don't need to use a dealership for this any small independent will do and so save you a deal on the labour rate
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
tried your theory twice my car stalled twice so its like what i think the clutch is ok
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.
Hello In that case if the rev counter is rising and the car is not accelerating its possible that the rev counter isn't reading correctly?or that the engine is down on power?can you tell me if the car struggles to accelerate especially up hills?also can you tell me what engine size and fuel type this is please?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hello Matt
Citroen 1600 diesel what cost are we talking if this is the case
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
hello OK to get a lack of power with this engine then check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it. If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuhator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
wow all over my head what happened to the rev counter my car is not turbo
so do,s all the above still apply
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
Hello ok if your's is the non turbo version then ignore the turbo related advice but the EGR related advice and injector cleaner may help and it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures regarding the rev counter issue then this could point to an issue with the engine speed sensor - this could also explain a lack of power so its may be best to consider replacing the engine speed / crank position sensor as the next step
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hello Mat
I will try what you have suggested
thank you
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
no problemjust get back to me on this post
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
your theory about the clutch did not help me as my car broke down on the a55 holywell the clutch was the problem though my car did stall on your theory my cost for new fit was over £1100