Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2011 Golf TDI Blue Motion 5 speed manual and a warning

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Golf TDI Blue Motion 5 speed manual and a warning light has appeared and according to the book it says that the light relates to DSG too hot. What do you suggest I do should I continue to drive as my dealer is 50 miles away.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd suggest to 1st check the transmission oil level as if this is low then the gearbox will get hotand if you drive slowly and give the car a couple of rest stops along the way to allow the heat to drop then it should make it to the dealer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was of the understanding that the engine/gearbox used the same lubrication. Or is the gearbox a separate unit for oil
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello the engine and gearbox are sealed seperately from each other as they use quite different oil so there will be a fill plug on the side of the transmission that if the oil runs out of when you undo the plug its then at the right level, if the oil doesn't run out then it needs topping up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A phone call to the Garage solved the problem, so a wasted €28.00 when I could have got a free trial. A tail light bulb on the boot door not illuminated is what caused the problem
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello please bear in mind that I can only offer advice based on what you tell me you said you had a DSG fault light so my advice pertained to that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I accept that, the problem is with the VW owners manual which just said DSG light and no mention of having a faulty bulb in the system. I did say that my TDI was fitted with a 5 speed manual box and no mention of it being DSG.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
http://ww2.justanswer.co.uk/en-gb/help/how-can-i-request-refund