Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2008 Honda civic and a cog symbol with an ! in it

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Honda civic and a cog symbol with an ! in it on my dash is this an expensive repair and what can be done.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello this is a fault with the automatic transmission The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious. if you can describe to me how the car drives with this fault then I'll try to help furhteris this the CVT or conventional automatic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is an I shift.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not found a problem prior to this but since the warning light has come on it seems to have less power when going up a gear.
My husband says it is an I shift as I have paddles on my steering wheel. Thank You
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I am getting concerned I am not receiving a response from the answers I have sent you please advise as there is no message to say you have received info and awaiting response.
Thank You
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
thanks for letting me know the I shift is an automated manual box with a clutchso the issue could be anything from a problem selecting gears or the clutch control is poorthis transmission can be prone to overheating the clutch if you don't hold the car with the brake pedal when its stationary I'd still suggest the next step is to get the car plugged into the diagnostic device
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already done this early on this morning as I had not received a reply from you to my responses,they did a check on the battery and they think this may have been a possible cause for this fault as the mechanic stated that it seemed to be slow when you turned the ignition on and when he checked the battery it was showing some problem. The warning light has now gone off so I am going to replace the battery.Thank You