Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

My car electrics failed whilst I was driving. The car has

Customer Question

My car electrics failed whilst I was driving. The car has been just sitting for about 8 weeks as I've been away but done about 35 miles to work and back OK, apart from battery light coming on on return journey. I took it out on the night, the whole range of dash warning lights came on, radio died, power steering went off as well as all indicators, electric windows and the rest. Engine stayed on and got me home but when I turned engine off it wouldn't start back up. I've left it over night and it still won't start this morning
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.
Hi..there.. Going by your decription of say it fairly likely that your battery is the issue here as long as the connections have been fully checked and are tight..if as you say the car was still running even though those warnings and failure's occurred would possibily rule out the alternator being at fault..but the battery simply not holding say from here ideally the best thing to do is either remove the battery and charge it off the car on a trickle charger until its fully charged or have the battery load tested aswell as the alternator output charge checked..