Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My 2000 Avensis is venting petrol fumes somewhere under the

My 2000 Avensis is venting petrol fumes somewhere under the bonnet .It continues after the engine is switched off for about 15-30 mins . Is it an easy fix?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there.. Obviously the first places to check ideally is the supply line to the fuel rail aswell as the injectors for fuel leaks..if thats not actually visable and not the issue as far as you can tell yourself if you've been checking it - of course sometimes if there is a low fuel pressure issue then sometimes that can trigger a engine management fault code or lack of power somewhat..Then the only other supsect i can say that likely going on here is an issue/vent leak with the EVAP system " evaporative emissions system" this works in a way of capturing the vapours from the fuel tank and storing these vapours in a charcoal canister near the fuel tank..once the engines upto operating temp usually then a purge valve opens and allows some of the captured vapour to be sent into the intake system and burnt off...if i recall correctly there should be purge valve within the eigne bay..you'll note the evap rubber hoses or just follow them from the canister upto the engine bay and check for any issues with the line..sometimes this can set a fualt code but normally the best method to check for leaks in that is with a smoke machine which sends smoke into the system to see if any leaks are present..most good well equiped garages would have that..labour time id say about hour and half for checks ideally
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. With the info you've provided me with I can go to a garage with a degree of confidence that I'm not going to be
conned into believing its a long difficult complicated job . Should I ask for the smoke machine test first ?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi.. They could do a few tests or checks diagnsotically on the EVAP to test solnoids purge valve..but smoke test is done by just fitting into the supply hose at the canister end..so when they do that..they can follow the rest of the evap pipe work upto the engine to ensure theres no escaping smoke..if there is? then thats your leak...but having said that if it quite strong the fuel smell..then checks for leaks is paramount for safety reasons anyway...but best of luck in getting you car sorted out and many thanks for your rating..much appreciated