Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Everyone - I'm not sure if this is a little too specialised

Hi Everyone - I'm not sure if this is a little too specialised for this site but I'm going to ask anyway.
I have an 08 Gallardo, 12k on the clock. When I start up the car in the morning and try reverse gear it flashes NR at the same time and wont go into reverse but back to neutral. When I try and go into 1st it will flash 1st and Neutral and go back into neutral. I have done plenty of online research and understand this is a common problem with the Gallardo Egear. Im obviously hoping they won't need to change the actuator, its massive money. From what Ive read it can be other things anbd the reason Im here is when I take it to the dealer, I'm hoping I wont get ripped off and am looking for a second opinion. This is all happening in The USA by the way.
So here are some interesting facts:
1) If I turn over the engine for 45 minutes I can then get into gear and as long as I start it again within an hour or 2 there are no problems getting into gear - only happens when the car is cold
2) The fluid levels are fine (suggesting no leak? - then why the loss of pressure)
3) I can hear the pump priming when I open the door
4) The Battery is fine
5) There is no egear or engine light on the dash
Id really value an opinion from someone that understands Lamborghini and can make sense of all of the above symptoms ie. It can't be the actuator because the levels are fine AND the car will start normally later in the day - or it likely is the actuator because ......
Thank you for reading
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Helloif its only working once fully warm then either the gearbox has a lot of shift resistance / very stiff to select gears or the actuator isn't getting enough current to pull in or the actuator itself is faulty I'd suggest to start with draining the transmission oil and allow it to strain through some paper towel as it exits, so catching any debris as this is a good indication of the units health the oil should be replaced every 25-30K miles in any case and I'd use a 75W90 full synthetic oil I can strongly recommend the use of Castrol Syntrans 75W90 (was called SMX-S) as I've known it help with shift issues on many manual gearboxes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You very much Matt, will let you know what happens ;-)