Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Reconditioned (12 months ago) automatic gearbox on my 05 S80

reconditioned (12 months ago) automatic gearbox on my 05 S80 is running like a bucket of stones! I accidentally overfilled the transmission whilst topping up the level but have now syphoned out more than I put in! Dipstick is still indicating slightly over the max fill level when hot. How important is the fill level to the performance of the transmission and what symptoms would I be likely to experience if the transmission is overfilled.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello an overfilled transmisson will create a lot of extra drag and power loss and what can happen is that the gears are constantly whipping through the oil and making it more and more aerated this then results in air bubbles and pockets inside the unit and then loss of function as there's no pressure to move solenoids etcso its always best to measure the level with it hot and after running it through all the gears
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
currently the box seems to be struggling to change until I slightly over-rev the engine. When it does change there's sometimes a bit of a jump. Are these typical symptoms of an overfilled transmission?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello yes you would get those symptoms with aerated oilso I'd try dropping half a litre out of the sump , let it settle for an hour or so and see how it drives then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again. I'll call back tomorrow and let you know what happened!
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Understood,just get back to me on this post
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Matt.Latest symptoms after syphoning about 500 mL from the sump; These are new symptoms.
COLD reading on the dipstick just below max. Not had the chance for a hot reading yet.
Start Engine.
Engage R. Short delay (half a second) before drive engages with a jolt.
Engage D. Short delay (half a second) before drive engages with a jolt.
Slow pull away. Drive engages but is delayed momentarily through the gear changes.
Car cruises in top gear with no trouble.
Perhaps I have removed too much oil?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt
Did you get my last post this morning?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello the level reading should be taken with the transmission hot as it expands a lot with temperatureso the behavior of the transmission is better now with less oil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not necessarily better but there are differences. There were no delays in taking up the drive before I removed the oil.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ok I'd try checking the oil level once again when the box is fully warmif its still over the MAX mark then drain off some more if this is now OK and its still got a delay when taking up drive then I'd get the car plugged into a Volvo service tool that can read the gearbox control parameters to see if its low on oil pressure and if the trim values are correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks will try tomorrow
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
understoodjust get back to me on this post
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just taken a closer look at the oil I removed. I'ts black! I think that could be at least part of the problem. Car goes in tomorrow for a complete transmission flush and replace.Thanks for your advice.Chris.