Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 1999 Ford Escort Turbo diesel, I drove it around

I have a 1999 Ford Escort Turbo diesel, I drove it around yesterday no probs but when I tried to start it when I turn on the ignition it just clicks and the warning lights go on and off with the clicking, this is before I turn to the starter position on the ignition switch. The battery seems fine and I cannot see any loose wires or anything obvious.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
HelloIf the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replacedDon't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cablesone other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its offIf this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope you got my replyī
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I have not seen any reply , its important to reply on this same post that you raised the question on, if you opened another then I may miss it and you'll be charged twice as the cost is per question raised
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi obviously something went wrong with my reply so I will repeat it.
When I turn on the ignition without turning the key to start, the dash warning lights go on and off with the clicking, if I leave the ign on and check under the bonnet the clicking appears to come from what looks like a relay mounted on the nearside of the engine compartment if I touch it I can feel it clicking, could this be faulty in which case what is it, I can see no mention of it in my Haynes manual.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello that sounds like the starter relay to menow this will click in and out like this when the battery voltage is low or there's a poor battery or motor connection so try working through my original list and get back to me on this postgood luck