Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I asked about my sportage not starting my question has

I asked about my sportage not starting my question has disapeared along wih my money !!!!@
Category: Car
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi I have a problem with my kia sportage 2006 crdi x's 2ltr , it won't start , I was told it was the trancender coil at the key , replaced this , and still it won't run , it is getting fuel before and after the pump , pressure is what it should be , it starts but will not keep running , there are no revs when you put the accelarator down it just ticks over then died I am at my wits end , there add a No faults showing on diagnostic check , and no warning lights of any kind coming in . Arghhhhh
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Has anybody looked at my question ??
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

hello

if the engine starts and runs then its not the immobilser

also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Matt the car only runs for seconds
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

hello, yes but it does run so I don't think its the immobiliser, if it was then it wouldn't crank or start

my 1st thought is a lack of fuel to be honest but if you're confident the fuel supply is OK then it could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The problem is it won't run so I can't get it to a garage . My local mechanics are stumped said the have never seen anything like it before ! does the computer need reprogrammed after the new coil was fitted ???
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

hello

yes new keys need to match the ECU otherwise the security won't work properly

do you still have the old key?

does it start up on that?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yup everything is being reconised it was only the transponder anntena that was replaced ( round the ignition barrel ) so didmt need new keys
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Ok

next thing to check is if the ECU power is being lost when the engine dies?

as this will prove if its as security system issue or not

so if you use a meter on the ECU fuse and try and start the engine , check if the voltage drops out

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just spoke to the mechanic who was at my car and he said that all checked and was all ok
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

hello

OK so the ECU isn't losing power then its definitely not the immobiliser

I'd go back to the engine and this time check over the electrical side

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;

Airflow meter

Crank position sensor

Cam position sensor

O2 sensor

Throttle position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Think that's a job for an auto electricion Matt
Thanx for all you help
Free
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Drew
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

no problem

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years