Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

VW polo petrol 1.4 12 yrs old. My fuel pump failed. It was

VW polo petrol 1.4 12 yrs old. My fuel pump failed. It was replaced with a generic one & solved problem. However the fuel gauge don't work now. While I realise recommendation is for VW part is there a specific reason why this might have happened. AA patrol man who came to the breakdown wonders about this.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

If it was working ok before the fuel pump failure then that may determine the fault being on the sender unit/float which is part of the fuel pump as a whole combined unit.if you still have access to the old fuel pump/sender..because access if i recall is basically under the back seat to access the multiplug connector/pipes and unit itself..you can disconnect the mulitplug from the top of the pump/sender on the tank and reconnect it to the old one..and then switch the ignition on and move the float by hand up and down whilst you watch the guage on the dash..if it does work then your new pump/sender unit side of things is faulty or even as far as going the float lever maybe stuck or bent an damaged during installation maybe.only way to know that is to pull the pump unit back out again..