Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Could you tell me what a dashboard light means, the symbol

could you tell me what a dashboard light means, the symbol looks like a rectangle with small tubes sticking out either end and it has loads of what look like tiny circles within the rectangle,when I used the car yesterday after turning the ignition off the fan on the engine was going for some time.The car is a Golf.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

The symbol you describe seem to be the DPF light (diesel particulate filter on exhaust) this will come on if the DPF has reached the point of requiring regeneration or is becoming blocked - normally you can to help put that light out is to drive your vehicle for approximately 15 minutes keeping the engine revs between 2000 - 2500 rpm. This is probably best done on an quiet road. Keep the car in a lower than normal gear or use 'S' on an automatic - this helpsr to keep the revs up and see if that helps...If not however then sadly it has to be either forced regenerated or depending on the saturation levels within the DPF it may require replacement...If the car is seldom used then this type of fault can be quite common on diesels with DPF's due to the system not being able to complete or perform regeneration of the filter as the car is used for an extended period of time.so short journeys dont help. aswell as using the wrong type of engine oil..so as above maybe try the procedure above driving the car for upto 15minutes keeping at the 2000-25000rpm range and see if that helps