Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a grand voyager, 2005. Recently after a period of

I have a grand voyager, 2005. Recently after a period of driving faster (motorway or dual carriageway) the power steering becomes very noisy although otherwise fine. Then after engine off and resting for 30-40 minutes , the noise disappears. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

1st thing I'd say is to check the fluid level in the power steering reservoir and also check how dark the fluid is

if its anything other than dark red then replace it and ensure that you work the steering from lock to lock to pump out the old fluid 1st

with the fluid out of the pump I'd also turn it over by hand ( after removing the belt) to feel for any tight spots on the pump, there should be none

if in any doubt replace the pump

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for that. What I should have mentioned was that the pump was replaced by a garage only in March and was then fine up until about 10 days ago.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

OK

that makes a difference

I'd still try popping the belt off and feeling the pump for roughness as its quite possible the replacement part isn't right but the fluid should be clean

I'd also check the condition of the belt as these can also generate noise when worn

if it has any cracks on the belt or looks shiny then replace it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, great. Any thoughts as to why the problem occurs after higher speed driving in particular?

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

I'd say that high speed = high engine revs so the pump has to spin fast for a long period

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Makes sense. Thanks Matt.