Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I put a deposit on a transit camper and decided to download

I put a deposit on a transit camper and decided to download the mot history; for the last report it says 'subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not excessive. Under body very rusty and n/s sill/step has some holes and rear cross member but not next to load bearing (2.4.A.3) Centre exhaust has minor leak of gasses.
Inner wheel well skirts have some rust holes.
Sounds bad to me; is it safe to complete purchase?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

the next step is to go back to the camper armed with a torch, overalls and a jack so you can crawl underneath and take a peek yourself, use a small screwdriver to 'tap' away at the underbody, if the screwdriver pokes through under light pressure then I'd walk away

it s possible that the underbody has since been repaired and rust proofed since its last MOT so all may be well