Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Please tell me e2200 van. Is the cam belt change time

Hi. Please tell me e2200 van. Is the cam belt change time sensitive or just mileage. Thank you.
Dave Wilmshurst
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

Normally mileage - it should be every 60,000miles - but if fitted you will also have timing belt warning light on the dash and this is normally run by mileage too..once the belts done - then reset the dash instrument panel needs removed and the small wire reversed via removing the small screws on the back to reset..i do hope this helps..any other questions before you rate then just ask

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. So you would say that a belt with 40000 in 9years is Ok
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

They dont give time intervals for these engine's/MPV's bar the mileage stated above which is the maximum mileage on the belt and pulleys run of the same belt.there's nothing to say why you cant replace it earlier or even if that is the same belt from new then it could be in your best interest to maybe consider having it done...9 years in some sense can be little long to leave it..and the majority of the time based on usage of the vehicle of course the mileage always beats the time interval if there is one when it comes to timing belts...if it where me id maybe consider at least if and when its get to 10yrs..just go ahead and replace it...these are known to have interference engines so if the belt breaks then valve damage is likey to occur

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Robert. As the van has very gentle use these days I shall go 1 more year. The van is in its 16th year and will get 100000 up by this w/e. Apart from the one cam belt change and pads andshoes last year nothing has needed repair, not even exhaust. It gets oil and filters every year and a waxoyl top up whenever underneath
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like the vans very well looked after & kept in order..but yep certainly consider it as per above Dave...if you need to ask anything further..then you know where i am..also please dont forget to leave a rating for me..much appreciated