Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

2002 Fiat Stilo 16v - The 'engine fault' message started to

Customer Question

2002 Fiat Stilo 16v - The 'engine fault' message started to show on the dash with a constant beeping, at the same time the engine became sluggish but I was still able to maintain a 30mph until I got home 10 mins later. The engine did shound like it was 'chugging' like a canal boat.
I notice that when the car is stationary with the engine running the whole car vibrates quite a bit and when i open the bonnet the engine seems to be shaking a lot.
The car still moves but very uncomfortably.
What could this be?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

Sounds like you've got a cylinder down or not firing going by your description..the engine fault light means the ecu has detected the issue and stored fault codes related to the fault or codes that will at least give us/you/garage a route to go on with regards ***** ***** to reach a diagnoses and repair..you best way forward here is to check connections to the ignition coils and then with a suitable scan tool find out what fault codes you have logged..it could be that one of them coils has gone down or sparkplug has gone bad or a fuel injector is faulty.or something more serious like compression fault.without knowing the fault codes you can only really do visual inspections on those..but more than likely id say a ignition system fault

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. Assuming that this is the problem, how long will it take a local garage to fix and roughly how much should they be quoting me?Ball park figures are fine, I appreciate you can't be specific.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Mostly a diag test should be in the £20-£30 or less range at least and maybe an hour max diagnoses labour time inc the replacement of defective coil if it is that - coils should be around £40 each depending of course where they source it from..certainly at this early stage i can be quite difficult to say over all costs