Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Fiat Bravo 1998 1.8. ABS warning light came on yesterday

Fiat Bravo 1998 1.8. ABS warning light came on yesterday when I got home. Had parked, wanted to move car froward a bit, switched on engine, and saw ABS light for the first time ever. Car old, so am I! Must I check brake fluid, or is it serious to take to garage? SO broke this month - please help!
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

Not likely..normally if the brake fluid level is low then the red brake light will be on...ABS light means the ABS side of your braking system has a fault..id say more so maybe a ABS sensor/pick up ring is faulty..not alot you can do on an inspection bases unless you can see a physical break in the toothed target ring on both front driveshaft outer cv housings - bar getting it on a diagnostic machine and watch each abs sensor on live data to see which one isnt working and what side you need to look at unless codes are stored which there likely is if the ABS light is on...its not a dangerous fault as your brakes will still work..but as above thats about the best way forward when it comes to issue or faults like you have above...and it saves alot of guess work too...I do hope this helps