Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2006 1.9 diesel non-turbo seems to be getting a lot of oil

Customer Question

2006 1.9 diesel non-turbo seems to be getting a lot of oil nto the inlet manifold - twice has dieseled on oil for a few seconds. Oil level 1/2 way between marks on dipstick. EGR valve also sometimes sticking. Could a blocked up breather cause this. If I take dipstick out there a some fumes coming up but no pressure building up if I put my thumb over dipstick tube. HELP
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

The first thing I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet, however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carries oil over with it.

If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.

If you do find oil replace the valve. If this is all OK then its possible that the valve stem seals are past their best and are drip-feeding oil into the intake. These can be replaced without removing the head by a competent garage in half a day or so

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Matt - where exactly is the valve situated. There is a pipe coming from the cam cover so is it inside the cam cover ?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

yes the valve is on the exit of the cam cover - it should unscrew from the cover

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cheers ***** ***** that a go.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Ok

just get back to me on this post

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt I have a lot of work on next couple of dats and will try and sort my van after that, thanks for your help and I will keep in touch on the result.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

understood