Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have an XC 90 D5 volvo 12 years old diesel, regularly

I have an XC 90 D5 volvo 12 years old diesel, regularly serviced. The engine ticks over well and cruises well. However when I start up the engine noice is loud (growl not a tiger in the tank) and although there is full power the noice is substantial. The garage have recenly done work on the car, tested it and can't identify where the noise is coming from. A sort of suddering sound.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

I'd start by checking for exhaust leaks

The best way to find an exhaust leak is to run the engine from cold and feel around the exhaust joints with your bare hands - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot and you should feel any escaping gas blowing over your fingers

also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you