Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Renault Megane sport tourer 1.6vvt 2005. The other

I have a Renault Megane sport tourer 1.6vvt 2005. The other day I was driving at slow speed just turned a corner and I heard a sound like a hose popping off and the car rolled to a stop. I tried starting again but nothing, it's turning over fast but doesn't sound like normal. It sounds quite high pitched not the usual cranking sound. I've checked the fuses and looked for any leaks but nothing is wrong. Could this be a timing belt? Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

Certainly sounds like your timing belt has gone going by the description you describe with the engine tuning over faster or higher pitched than normal..thats because its only the crank turning over....you could look inside the oil filler hole and then have someone turn it over..if you dont see the cams turning..then its pretty much verified...The only problem is that if the timing belt has indeed gone or snapped for what ever reason..then its likely you will have top end damage as far as the valves and maybe lifters go..these engines are interference engines..so it may not be a cheap job to repair that ..maybe in the region of at least £500-£800 pounds as a ball park figure..cause it will have to include a another cylinder head / timing belt kit and water pump plus coolant..i do hope this helps