Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have problem with abs sensor i just replaced one but new

Customer Question

hi i have problem with abs sensor i just replaced one but new one has made no difference i have noticed marks where the abs toothed cog has been touching should this happen as i dont no how it can be adjusted thank you
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

what tends to happen is water gets into the sensor and the corrosion makes the sensor swell up and then touch the toothed wheel

so I'd do a quick depth measurement with the new sensor and into the hole to double check there will be no clash but I'd say that you will be OK to fit a new part

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The new one I put in had classed as well as the old one
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

OK

in that case the toothed wheel may have corroded and swollen I'd use a camera or a good torch to peer into the sensor hole so you can spy on the toothed wheel and turn it through a full turn as there may only be 1 tooth thats damaged

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi the dash is no saying brake failure stop safely could this be the module or the sensor is damaged the diagnostic still saying left front wheel signal faulty thank you
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

1st check that the brake fluid is up to the mark in the reservoir

providing the car still stops as it should and pulls up evenly then I don't think its going to be the module and I'd check over the wiring to that sensor as if its shorting out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you just had it on a snap on solus diagnostic and it says the right side sensor faulty could this be why the speedo not reading the garage I used did not want to give me any info thank you
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

if the speedo isn't reading then yes this points to an issue with the wheel speed sensors as the ABS module uses an average of the speed sensors to generate the signal