Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Transit connect 07 alternator smoking changed alternator and

Customer Question

Transit connect 07 alternator smoking changed alternator and startermotor but problem is still happening battery light on dash stays on for 30seconds then goes off.low pitched winning noise when revving engine. Pulled off 3 pin plug and noise dissapears & alternator stops overheating?
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 9 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi shantel I am going to wait for a answer hopefully not to long, fanx
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 9 months ago.

Hi there good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to offer you technical assistance with your issue

Do you still require assistance with this issue

Kind regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Brian yes I still need assistance with my issue!

Hi there good evening to you and sorry for the delayed reponse

Ok the fault will lie with the smart charge wiring

There is a small smart charge loom on the connect that goes from the alternator to a triangle connector on the cooling fan shroud

This loom has 3 wires in it

Red/blue And grey

Most commonly we see corrosion on the blue wire

This is the feedback to the PCM

As the PCM detects the wrong information it Ramps the charging voltage of the alternator (using the smart charge system ) to between 15-18 volts

This is why it gets really hot and why it's ok with this plug dissconected

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know

If you were satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening

Any positive feedback /bonuses is kindly appreciated

Brian

The loom is avaiable seperatley and takes 2 minutes to replace

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Fanx Brian I will change that piece of loom I have seen it on the net I will get it tommorow and if it solves the problem I will give you top marks & reward your knowledge as it would have cost me dear to have a mobile electrical engineer to fix!

Hi there no worries

It's advised to fit the genuine ford loom and they are probably around the same price

Brian

Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hi Brian Fanx for the advice problem solved! I will give you top marks & bonus, fanx again & take care!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Brian gave u top marks and when I we to give you a tip it sent me to pay pal I was gonna give u the £20 deposit how do I do that? If i cant do that I will pay u by pay pal! Fanx again