Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Just had an AA comprehensive report carried out vehicle that

Just had an AA comprehensive report carried out for a vehicle that I am looking to buy. Not entirely sure as to whether or not the items pointed out for attention are costly to repair or not.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looking to buy a category D 2007 Subaru Legacy with 39000 miles. Just had an AA comprehensive check carried out and there are several issues that require attention on the vehicle. Not sure if the amount of money required to spend addressing those issues is worth it. I have the report and will attach it as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

you don't say how much the car is up for sale for but to replace all 4 tyres is a bill for about £600-800 for starters ( depending on the brand and size)

the floorpan surface corrosion sounds like its nothing to worry about but 20 mins spent with a paint brush and some underbody wax would prevent it getting any worse ( DIY about £20 in materials)

the more worrying aspect is the loose headlamps and uneven tyre wear

this indicates the crash / impact damage from the CAT D hasn't been completely resolved and a 4 wheel alignment at £80 may be all thats required but suspension and or chassis points may be bent which can be a few thousand to put right

also the low coolant level and lack of performance may indicate a weeping cylinder head gasket which will be £1200 to put right as the engine has to come out to repair this

To be honest unless the car is very cheap indeed I'd walk away

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am hoping to buy this for 2000, maybe less. The cam belt also has not been changed as well.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

a quick scan on ebay and autotrader shows a fair few legacys around this price point, none of them are cat D with this host of issues

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/06-06-Subaru-Legacy-2-0-RE-SPORTS-TOURER-/182148104758?hash=item2a68df8236:g:7jwAAOSwQaJXRyiI

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Legacy-Outback-2-5L-SEN-Auto-Leather-H-Seats-Sat-Nav-Xenons-Sunroof-/252410694029?hash=item3ac4d9898d:g:D8MAAOSw7n9XEh0k

I'd honestly shop elsewhere