Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I am in the process of buying a used Fiat Doblo van,the eml

I am in the process of buying a used Fiat Doblo van,the eml lamp is on and the generic warning lamp. The seller tells me the DPF needs attention.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

In what way does it need attention,has the seller givin any indication? how miles is on the Van?

Have you test drove it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
41,000 MILES. i HAVE DRIVEN it and is a super ride
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The oil warning light doesn't come on,should this not come on if the DPF is not working properly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the display the only message is stop/start not available. I have pushed the switch to bring this on ,but it will not.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..the oil light has nothing to do with the DPF..the DPF is the diesel particulate filter..on the exhaust that captures soot particales..and normally during the vans use preferably on long use/journeys..the DPF should be hot enough to or the ecu should allow the van to self regenerate the dpf..thus reducing the risk of the DPF becoming blocked which will then require forced regeneration or entire replacement of the filter itself..that is if of course the saturation levels in the DPF is beyond a certain percentage and there's nothing else worng with the pressure sensors or another issue on the van..Normally a good hard run can solve it..but as you have desrcribed the van appears to pull and start up well......If the oil light isnt coming on..id say it could be electrical issue either the pressure/level sensor or an electrical issue back..But you should of have checked the Oil level during your checks aswell for any suspect leaks......The stop and start? these are so temperamental and they will only activate under certain conditions where their isnt alot of load on the charging system or wehn the handbrake is activated or if the doors are open etc....the DPF issue could be just the Van needing a good hard run as i suggested unless the seller has had the van diagnosed to maybe give a better insight as to what costs you maybe inheriting if any

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would this be an mot failure?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

It shouldnt be with that issue..if its got a current upto date MOT cert and passed the emmisions then it should be fine,but they may adivse on the engine warnings that flagged up on the dash....the only thing it would likely fail on now is if you went ahead and cut the DPF out or had gut the DPF and was seen by the tester as tampered with..ie: cut and welded...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the mot certificate has given an advisory "Engine management light on". The seller wasn't a technical man and said he didn't really understand,I have been looking into it. I assume the garage has done a diagnostic check and has come up with this diagnosis,why do you think it hasn't come up with a message on my display,when it comes up with the start/stop warning?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes the engine light may come on if the DPF needs regenerated..thats why sometimes its best to give a Van a good hard run in 4th for about 15minutes..and see if the light goes out..if not then further diagnoses needs to be done as i would never advise anyone to go out an fit another DPF unless is has been properly diagnosed as the issue.....but it wont normally come up on the display as DPF faulty....Of course if the seller agrees maybe ask a local mobile tech or diagnostic tech to go along with you to check it out..the fault codes i mean..unless you have a small code reader yourself to plug in..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been looking into buying a Autel tester, how do you connect such a unit?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Which Autel one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maxi check DPF regeneration &reset multi vehicle diagnostic kit 225 pounds sterling
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

I see ok the hand held one...i cant comment on its performance or use as i dont use that one ive got the MaxiSys ms908.. But you should get you 16PIN lead that fits to the handheld unit..i think you get a disc with that one?.the 16pin end basically plugs into your OBD2 socket,then turn the ignition on and basically go through the steps on the device to bring up the detials of the van etc and what codes are stored as such....word of warning though dont go buying a chinese copy or you'll be wasting your money..make sure you get one from a reptuable autel dealer in the uk they should have round autel logo with their id and telling you they are an authourised seller...maybe try Gendan automotive online just google them and you find them..they are also on ebay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What/where is the OBD2 socket!!
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

should be behind the cover down the right handside of the dashboard.where the fuses are .the 16pin dlc plug will or should be yellow in colour or was on the last gen..but should be the same on the new current one you have

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Rob.Is it possible to get in touch with you personally with further developments on this matter?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

No problem - Yep..you can just continue on this question..should you require anything..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does OBD2 mean!?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Means On-Board Diagnostics 2 came compliant on all vehicles after 1996 - Just means that your able to retrive more data from the vehicles 16pin socket using your diagnsotic equipment

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great stuff,Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Robert,
A regeneration was done at the garage,the mechanic was surprised it did it in such a short time. He is confident the DPF is ok. The pressure sensor is faulty, he says it has a leak,even without a visual inspection!, I was surprised that his Bosch diagnostic tester was able to detect it was leaking, I can understand it picking up it is faulty-but that it is leaking?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..

the pressure sensor may have flagged a code in relation to the sensor leaking ..the fact the DPF saturation levels wasnt that much would mean the DPF is fine..so its generally a case a inspecting the differential pressure lines that come from the sensor all the way to the DPF itself..if they seem to be ok and no blockages within the lines..then the sensor is your fault based on what you have said and results after the testing........so its not a big deal to replace that